Porsche 356 1500S
The 1953 356 range was treated to a new gearbox with full synchromesh, larger drum brakes, road tail-lights (two on each side) and restyled bumpers.
Inside the now-famous Porsche crest appeared for the first time, on the steering wheel boss.
The 1500S was a new additional to the range. Its engine had a roller-borne Hirth crankshaft and power was raised to a heady 70bhp. According to an internal company memo of October 1952 it was originally intended only “for racing drivers taking part in racing events.”
Engine: Rear-mounted, air-cooled flat-four with two Solex 40 PBIC downdraft carburettors
Compression ratio: 6.5:1
Bore and stroke: 80x74mm
Maximum power: 70bhp at 5000rpm
Maximum torque: 108Nm at 3600rpm
Brakes: Front: 280x40mm drums; rear: 280x40mm drums
Suspension: Front: Front: Double parallel arms with torsion bar springs, telescopic dampers and anti-roll bar; Rear: Swing axles with torsion bar springs and telescopic dampers
Wheels & tyres: Front: 3.25Dx16 with 5.00/16 tyres 3.25Dx16 with 5.00/16 tyres
Weight: 810kg (830kg in 1955)
0-60mph: 13.5 sec
Top speed: 109mph
Coupe and Cabriolet versions were offered
Copyright © 2018, Philip Raby Limited.